Gizmodo Media Group is looking for an Editor-in-Chief of Splinter, its news and politics site.
About the Company:
Gizmodo Media Group is the publisher of the web’s most original and fearless media brands, including Gizmodo, Earther, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Jezebel, Deadspin, Splinter, Jalopnik, TrackRecord and The Root. As part of Fusion Media Group, we reach an audience of +120 million visitors a month — more than one-third of all Americans.
About the Role:
The ideal applicant is an excellent editor, a relentless reporter, and a voracious news junkie with a proven track record of strong leadership skills. Our staff is built upon strong opinions, a conversational writing/commissioning voice, and an unstinting editorial eye. The right leader will have a sharp, long-term vision for growing Splinter’s, and Gizmodo Media Group’s, audiences.
As Editor-in-Chief, you should have:
- At least 7-10 years of newsroom and management experience
- Strong leadership skills with a proven history of managing a team or newsroom to break news, hold the powerful to account, and find underreported stories
- A unique and strong vision for covering and curating news and politics under our current administration and beyond
- Impeccable integrity and ability to support staffers in making tough journalistic calls, and telling stories with sensitivity, during fast-moving news cycles
- Deep, applied understanding of how to use visual and audio journalism, digital video, and social media to enhance storytelling
- Excellent interpersonal and collaborative problem-solving skills
- A fearless approach to journalism and a sense of humor
- Strong commitment, and proven track record, of hiring diverse talent
Prospective candidates should apply with their resume, a compelling cover letter explaining why you are Splinter’s next editor-in-chief and a memo that shares your vision for the site going forward.
Splinter is a site with a focus on news, politics and social justice for a young, diverse audience. It is part of Gizmodo Media Group, the publisher of the web’s most original and fearless media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Jezebel, Deadspin, Jalopnik, and The Root. As part of Fusion Media Group, we reach an audience of +120 million visitors a month—more than one-third of all Americans.
GMG and its parent, Univision, are deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
This position is based in New York City, and reports into our Editorial Director.
This position is in the WGA-E bargaining unit.